The following rules shall be observed while engaged in the United States Tang Soo Do training class or other United States Tang Soo Do events.
- United States Tang Soo Do, Inc. does not require contracts.
- All monthly dues shall be paid on or before the due date.
- Families are encouraged to train together.
- If unable to train together, parents are encouraged to observe classes.
Uniform and Class Wear
- Always wear a clean and pressed uniform.
- Tradition suggests that martial artists not wash the belt. In the days of the old there were no colored belts. As the belt became soiled (and black) this showed time and effort put into the martial arts training. A modern update to this tradition shows that washing your belt does no harm and promotes good hygiene.
- Never wear your Tang Soo Do belt without being in full uniform, such as wearing a summer shirt instead of the dobak uniform jacket, unless authorized by the instructor.
- Federation and club patches are to be displayed in the approved manner.
- Never wear the uniform or belt of another style of martial art without prior approval of the Master instructor.
- Groin protectors and mouth guards are required when sparing. Wearing a protective pad is optional.
- Wearing watches, medallions and/or necklaces is prohibited. Wedding rings may be worn if turned inward or covered with tape.
- The Tang Soo Do student must attend the required number of classes per week to qualify for the next rank testing, unless excused by the instructor
- Students should call the instructor if they are going to be absent from regular class sessions for more than one week.
- Family functions, school work and illness are excused absences.
- Only one unexcused absence is permitted per month and must be made up to qualify for the next rank testing.
- Emergencies are an exception but you must notify the instructor as soon as possible following the emergency absence.
- Practice good hygiene at all times. Keep yourself bodily clean.
- Keep finger and toenails trimmed, not only for good grooming but also for safety.
- Wash hands before and after class.
Classroom Etiquette (Before Class)
- Students should arrive 15 minutes before class to stretch and prepare for class.
- Upon entering, bow toward the flag. As you enter and leave Do Jang floor, bow to show your respect to the school and Tang Soo Do tradition.
- Never enter the Do Jang floor while a class is in progress or an instructor is engaged in teaching. Do not interrupt unless an emergency. Stand at the entry to the Do Jang floor and wait until the instructor (or senior student) notices you and turns to bow you into the Do Jang floor. It is improper to attempt to get the Instructor’s attention by speaking, a wave of the hand or other means. Wait, quietly and patiently until you are acknowledged.
- When entering the Do Jang late stand at attention at the edge of the floor and do not enter the Do Jang floor until the instructor turns to you, bows, and acknowledges you to enter.
- If you enter the Do Jang after the class has been clapped in and after you have been acknowledged and bowed in then you must line up at the end of the line on the back row.
- When any master enters the Do Jang, whether the waiting area or the Do Jang floor, any student must call attention to the master and turn and bow at once. This rule applies to any Tang Soo Do class, test, or Tang Soo Do function.
- Get your attendance card or sign the “Sign In” sheet at every class to receive credit for your attendance. If any of your personal or contact information has changed such as name, address, telephone number, rank, or e-mail address, write down the updated information and write “New” next to your name and circle it or notify your instructor.
- All students waiting to begin class shall be respectful and remain quiet for other classes in session.
- No free sparring in the Do Jang without the approval of the instructor.
- Any student on the Do Jang floor and within hearing of the instructor must stand with all other students during the opening of any class including the pledge of allegiance.
- Turn off all pagers and cell phones in Do Jang.
Classroom Etiquette (During Class)
- If leaving class early, or leaving room briefly, approach the instructor and ask for permission after bowing first, or discuss with instructor before class. Emergencies are always an exception.
- While on the Do Jang floor, Instructors and Black Belts shall be addressed by Mr., Mrs., Miss, or Master.
- No talking in class unless authorized by the class instructor.
- Never break Choon Be (ready stance), once instructed to ready.
- When training, try to clear your mind of any problems outside of the Do Jang.
- Three claps signal line up to start the class. Two claps signal line up during class. One clap signals break. Or listen for announcement.
- Bow before speaking to anyone on the Do Jang floor.
- When your belt or uniform needs to be straightened, turn away from your instructor or other students while making the uniform or belt adjustments, but only during an appropriate pause in instruction or training.
Classroom Etiquette (After Class)
- Any student on the Do Jang floor and within hearing of the instructor must stand with all other students during the close of any class.
- When leaving the Do Jang floor, turn to the Do Jang floor from the exit, and bow before leaving.
- Children are not allowed to wait outside the Do Jang to be picked up.
- Keep temper and bad attitudes under control. Both are harmful not only to you, but to those who are training with you and they can cause accidents. Leave your attitude at the door with your shoes. There shall be no profanity used anywhere in the Do Jang.
- There shall be no alcohol or drugs consumed/used before or while attending class.
- No gum or food is allowed in the Do Jang; however, water is encouraged and may be kept at the side of the Do Jang floor or in a safe place so that it is not a hazard to other students.
- If a member of another Tang Soo Do club comes to visit, treat them as you would a member of your own club.
- If you attend class at another Tang Soo Do club, behave in a manner befitting your rank in a club association.
- Applicants for testing shall be announced. Advise your instructor if you think your name should be on the list.
- At test times, have your testing fees ready before you sign in.
- All class etiquette rules apply during testing, except there will be no talking.
Outside the Classroom
- It is not permitted to use Tang Soo Do techniques outside of class unless it is a true instance of self defense. All use of Tang Soo Do techniques outside the classroom must be reported to the Master in charge of the Do Jang.
- Never wear your uniform or belt outside of class. Uniform pants may be worn to and from the Do Jang.
- Nunchuckos may never be used outside of the Do Jang. Instructor approval is required for all weapons
- Do not engage in any activity that might degrade your reputation as you represent the school.
- All students must be gang free.